About Me

My photo
My husband and I, the Dynamic Duo, have been married since 2003. We've weathered the storm of chronic disease (diagnosis 2006), infertility (diagnosis 2007), turning 30 (2006/2007 respectively) a first adoption (2009) of a tender hearted, compassionate Ukrainian BIG boy (born 2006), who has told us he'd like a baby sister, baby brother, big brother, and REALLY big sister. We recently completed our second Ukrainian adoption journey, which brought us a daughter (born 2005). We'll see what else God brings our way!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving Fun

The week of Thanksgiving was interesting, to say the least. I got sick Sunday and got progressively worse until Tuesday. I couldn't breathe, my throat hurt, and I was having a hard time sleeping. And, of course, this couldn't have happened at a worse time. I have my Bible study on Mon and Tues mornings, I had to work Monday, and prepare for my sister-in-law and her family to come in to town. But I have a wonderful husband who supported me as much as he could during this time. He bought me medicine, didn't make me feel bad for not cooking, and let me lounge next to the garbage can so I could throw my thousands of snot rags in the trash easily.



By Wednesday I was feeling better, and looking forward to seeing my family. I prepared the full Thanksgiving meal...turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, gravy and stuffing. I loved every minute of it! My sister-in-law, Wendy, arrived Thursday afternoon with a hungry bunch. Tony is her husband, who is Italian and gave us some home made Italian spagetti sauce (Mmmmm.....) and her boys are CJ, age 9, and Sam, age 6. I haven't seen them since the summer...I couldn't believe how tall they were!!! I enjoyed smothering them with kisses and hugs and catching up on their activities. CJ plays hockey with a traveling league and is really good. And Sam is learning to read...I can't believe it! I love to hang out with Dave and Wendy. They have such a goofy and fun relationship...it's good to see Dave enjoying himself with his sister and her family. I didn't have much time with them because I had to work Fri night and Sat morning. We had lunch and then off they went.



Dave's Crohn's is getting progressively worse. I really don't know what more to do for him. He's now eating chocolate shakes before bed to try to gain weight. He has no energy, and is in constant pain. The pain meds he's on aren't cutting it anymore, so we're going to look in to experimental procedures/medicines to see what we can find. I'm growing more and more concerened about his health and the lack of resources we have at this point. But God is good and He will guide us to where we need to be with this.



Our cat, Max, isn't doing so great either. His arthritis is bad more than it is good these days. We find him in odd positions unable to move. And I'm having to feed him his dinner. I don't know how much longer we should keep him alive. He's stuck in the back room of our basement while we're gone because his brother, Fritz, attacks him...silly cats!



Thanksgiving week was also the last week the Ukraine was going to accept dossiers for 2008 adoptions. Apparently it was a very competitive time. I guess I wasn't surprised to not be submitted, but a little disappointed. We have to wait until the first week in Feb to hear any news now. But somehow I'm not heartbroken about it. It just feels like good timing. We couldn't afford to go to the Ukraine right now anyway, so we can get more fundraisers going in the mean time.



One of the things I've noticed about this school year is that I'm really struggling with my walk with the Lord. I haven't been able to pinpoint where my walk got off line. My prayer life isn't what it should be, and I don't devote myself everyday to digging in to God's word. My excuses are that I'm working now, and I have a lot going on in my personal life. My husband is ill, my grandmother is dying, my youngest brother is rebelling, and my children are still not with me.



I'm learning a lot in BSF's life of Moses study. Moses didn't become a humble leader totally dependent on God over night. He struggled even in the wilderness with God's "obstinate" people. I prayed on the way home from work Mon night that God wouldn't punish my discussion group because of my disobedience in prayer, that God would bless them all by encouraging them to be at class Tuesday morning. We're learning about the building of the Tabernacle. How majestic and beautiful it must have been! God is so good and so worthy of our praise and adoration. But we must come to Him recognizing that He is holy, and we are sinful. And because He hates sin I must consecrate myself by confess my sins daily, hourly, ASAP to be acceptable to come before the Holy God. I also need to recognize that I can't approach God in a halfhazard way. What do I do to prepare to worship Him on Sunday mornings??? After my plea to God Mon night, I had a wonderful time Tuesday morning with my ladies. I'm convicted every week in some area of my walk. Growth is what I want and God desires of me. And the more I learn, the more I'm responsible for. Sigh. Maybe I should stop learning...(Just kidding!)

2 comments:

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

I hate that you were sick over the holidays. I think you are extremely brave to prepare such a miraculous meal while being ill.

I am so saddened that you did not get to submit this past week. God does know what He is doing, so perhaps you will have a mega fundraiser and make all the profitts needed to travel to Ukraine.

junglemama said...

Hope your cat is okay. But I especially hope that are feeling better now! My husband and children are involved in BSF--- great stuff! BTW, I've added you to my blogroll!