About Me

My photo
My husband and I, the Dynamic Duo, have been married since 2003. We've weathered the storm of chronic disease (diagnosis 2006), infertility (diagnosis 2007), turning 30 (2006/2007 respectively) a first adoption (2009) of a tender hearted, compassionate Ukrainian BIG boy (born 2006), who has told us he'd like a baby sister, baby brother, big brother, and REALLY big sister. We recently completed our second Ukrainian adoption journey, which brought us a daughter (born 2005). We'll see what else God brings our way!

Saturday, April 4, 2009

April 4, 2009

Sorry everyone! It's taken me a while to tell you where I am! We're in Zaporozhie on the south eastern part of the Ukraine. It's the auto capital of the Ukraine, and we've enjoyed seeing all the cars.

We've made a play date with the American couple we met not too long ago. It's so nice to talk to someone in English who is going through exactly what we're going through. Even at the same time! I think they'll probably get their court date first, since we have the added complication with Maxim's siblings. But that means they can give us advice :) We've also been told that the 10 day waiting period is rarely waived (which we were told even before we came here), and it really depends on the judge. No worries. Either way is fine with me, although I'm excited about the possibility of getting home earlier.

Not much else to report for today...Maxim is a little monster! He's hitting us and we're staying very strong against it without being offensive to the orphanage workers. I'm not really sure what's OK and what's not. Obviously we don't hit him back in any way. I know that wouldn't be OK with them (or at least I think). I can tell he's going to throw lots and lots of tantrums...Bring it, son! This is what I've been waititng for...a battle of the minds and I think I'll beat him in being strong willed (insert Rocky theme here). (Can you tell I'm getting a little dilerious?)

2 comments:

Tami said...

Oh, yeah. Been there, done that. Maddie was a bit of a stinker too, although she was more of a pouter/fainter than a hitter. It was SO hard to deal with while we were in Ukraine. We wanted to discipline but couldn't figure out how to handle it since she wasn't ours yet and she was still under the care of the orphanage.
Tough stuff.
Enjoy the visit with the Americans. Its so nice to have someone there who knows exactly what you're going through.

gsdegray said...

Natalie,
I spoke with your mom recently and she shared about your journey. I've enjoyed reading along with you. Thanks for sharing so much of your experience.
Maxim looks and sounds so much like a boy we all know and love. Your experiences with him will help you along the way. The assurance you received through Dave reminds me so much of your Dad's response some 10 years ago. His confidence made stepping forward so much easier for all of us. The DeGray family will be watching your posts and keeping you in our prayers in the days ahead!