About Me

My photo
My husband and I, the Dynamic Duo, have been married since 2003. We've weathered the storm of chronic disease (diagnosis 2006), infertility (diagnosis 2007), turning 30 (2006/2007 respectively) a first adoption (2009) of a tender hearted, compassionate Ukrainian BIG boy (born 2006), who has told us he'd like a baby sister, baby brother, big brother, and REALLY big sister. We recently completed our second Ukrainian adoption journey, which brought us a daughter (born 2005). We'll see what else God brings our way!

Friday, June 26, 2009

Eli's MRI

Eli's MRI was successful. Hopefully we'll have the results in the next week or so.

We went to the doctor's office, which took twice the amount of time it normally would because of rush hour traffic (an hour). So we were right on time at 8:30am. They then took us back to a room where they asked about his medical history, and then gave me an idea about what was going to happen. They then gave me a liquid form of sedative in a syringe to give to Eli. I explained to him that it was medicine and it wouldn't taste good, but he needed to finish it. And he did with no hesitation. He started to get sleepy and fought it, but eventually succumbed. He was wheeled in to the MRI room, I was given ear plugs, and away we went. This is when I started to break down.

He was lifted on to the MRI machine and hooked up to monitors for his heart and lungs (to make sure he didn't stop breathing), and then rolled in to the machine, which is a lot tighter than you'd think. I was in the room the entire 15-20mins (it's really, really loud!) and almost completely lost it. Here was my darling boy, completely lifeless, stuck in this awful machine, surrounded by white. It reminded me a lot of a funeral. I just couldn't shake that visual. So I was relieved when the technician came in and told me it was done. As soon as they moved him to the bed Eli woke up and wanted his momma. So I carried him back in to the room until he woke up a bit more, and in true Eli style demanded he be allowed to hold his bag of cars to the car. I carried him, which wasn't easy with the other two bags I had. I didn't want to feed him until we got home.

The rest of the day went by really fast. We got home, he drank juice like a mad man, and then ate cheerios and some nuts before I put him down for his nap. He slept for about 2 hours, and then was up and running (well, more like tumbling). The sedative made him pretty wobbly, so he was falling a lot and running in to walls and closets. We then had the fun of riding out a really bad, really fast thunderstorm that knocked out power a half a dozen times. He was pretty loopy and wiry, so we headed to the church to hang out until Dave came to pick him up. I had a rehearsal dinner last night for a wedding I'm in...it was so much fun. Ah, adult conversation!!

Eli went in to the sanctuary for the first time! Our church is pretty big, so we have these riding vacuum cleaners that are pretty quiet. Eli kept saying "car, car" and following the guy around, weaving in between rows, figure 8-ing. It was so funny! So I'm hoping he'll be willing to join us this Sunday for a few minutes in the sanctuary, but I'm not going to push it. We'll let him tell us when he's ready.

Eli has been progressing like crazy! He can sound all the letters and is chatting up a storm with us, although most of it isn't English that I recognize. His OT is going great, and he starts PT this Wed. I'm really excited to see what the PT says.

1 comment:

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

How hard was that for the little guy and his mommy. Poor thing.