About Me

My photo
My husband and I, the Dynamic Duo, have been married since 2003. We've weathered the storm of chronic disease (diagnosis 2006), infertility (diagnosis 2007), turning 30 (2006/2007 respectively) a first adoption (2009) of a tender hearted, compassionate Ukrainian BIG boy (born 2006), who has told us he'd like a baby sister, baby brother, big brother, and REALLY big sister. We recently completed our second Ukrainian adoption journey, which brought us a daughter (born 2005). We'll see what else God brings our way!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Baby Brother Baby Sister

There are days that I have almost a need to blog, like God is filling my mind with things I must get down on paper, er, um, in cyber space. It's not something I can really explain...I wonder if this is how the writers of the Bible felt when they were penning their thoughts driven by the Holy Spirit. It consumes me until the thoughts are out, kind of like a stomach bug, but in a good way. This urge hit me a couple days ago and it won't leave! So, as Eli takes a nap (perhaps a sign of more growth to come), I sit forcing myself to type away. By the way, the title is explained at the end of this post...way too cute!

We went to the Memorial Day parade, not knowing how Eli would react. Last year we didn't even get down the street before he started screaming at the top of his lungs. But this year he sat through 15 mins of it, got bored and started seeking shade anywhere he could find it. I can see how much he's changed since last year, and it's quite bittersweet. On one hand, he's such a well adjusted, smart child, but on the other hand he's so independant! I've only been his Momma for a year, why did he have to grow up so fast :( I know, I know...it's a good thing.

I just can't help but feel blessed like crazy these days. Eli loves school and is doing great. He is growing up so fast I don't feel like I can keep up! I've really enjoyed hearing about all the fun things he does, like puzzles, and play with big trucks, and slide down the big bumpy slide. He loves to sing now and I catch him singing while we're in the car more and more. He is bringing me his apple juice to pour, and letting me know what he wants to eat, although I can't always let him have what he wants. After all, there's just so much nutrition in a piece of toast! I've found his magic formula for eating veggies...just add butter. He ate 6 pieces of broccoli because I put butter on them. He loves it!

Dave and Eli are still best buds. Eli has moved on from an obsession with hockey to an obsession with football. Everyday Dave spends no less than an hour with Eli, playing and laughing with him, enjoying him while he can. Because we both know sooner or later his time will be filled with friends and activities. Speaking of which, I've enrolled Eli in a swimming class, sports clinic, and a few activities at the Nature center down the street. I think this summer is going to fly by!
Here are Dave and Eli at the parade. Dave let Eli wear his hat and stand in his shadow. It was so hot! Eli even sat behind the people next to us for shade.





I feel guilty sometimes not entertaining Eli in the evenings to give Dave a break. He comes home from work, sets his things down and he's out the door playing with Eli. He really doesn't have time to do anything with his race car anymore. But, like I said, Dave knows that some day his run as Hero will be over, and it will come sooner than either of us want. This weekend will be great because we have lots of activities. Tonight Eli and I are helping with the school's fair, tomorrow we're going to a going away picnic at a park, and Sunday is church. Phew! Lots of stuff going on.
Dave found a lightning McQueen car, the drivable kind, really cheap, and everyday Eli and Dave take off down the sidewalk. Eli was crazy the first few days, but he caught on really fast! He knows to stop at all streets and look both ways for cars, and he knows how to steer so he doesn't run in to anything. He looks like a real race car driver. And he LOVES it!





Title Explanation: Yesterday Eli had a doctor's appointment in the afternoon. We were on our way home, only about 5 minutes away after a 30-45 min drive, when Eli says "Momma, have baby." I, puzzled, looked back at him (we were stopped at a light), and asked "Oh, like a baby doll? Sure, I bet they have one at the dollar store. Maybe we'll go later and get one for you." He replies "No, Momma, have baby brother." I just laughed and said we'll have to tell Papa about that. I relayed this conversation with Dave and he looked at Eli and said "No, Eli, you don't want a baby brother. You want a baby sister, right?" Eli pondered for a moment and said "Have baby brother, baby sister." We just about died laughing. Maybe that's a sign for us to get on the move to get him some siblings!!

3 comments:

The Lovealls said...

What a sweet post! Dave and Matt sound just a like. Matt does the same thing..comes home from work and takes his boy outside to play- i love seeing them together!

Thanks for the update!
Love,
Emily

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

Kids have a "nack" at predicting these things (the baby thing that is!) My nephew knew before we did that we would come home with a boy and a girl! Just sayin'.

Innov@teGhana said...

hahaha! awesome - how funny. Stumbled on your blog from facebook - sorry not stalking you = p Its really great to see you guys bond with him and watch him grow. Kids are the best, i think i might try the brocolli trick!