About Me

My photo
My husband and I, the Dynamic Duo, have been married since 2003. We've weathered the storm of chronic disease (diagnosis 2006), infertility (diagnosis 2007), turning 30 (2006/2007 respectively) a first adoption (2009) of a tender hearted, compassionate Ukrainian BIG boy (born 2006), who has told us he'd like a baby sister, baby brother, big brother, and REALLY big sister. We recently completed our second Ukrainian adoption journey, which brought us a daughter (born 2005). We'll see what else God brings our way!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Progress

We are making some serious progress on our dossier, with only two forms outstanding.  Our home study addendum (and license) is on its way, and our proof of home ownership form is awaiting a notary.  We've had to redo form after form with this adoption, which is no fun!  But it's almost done and I can't wait to have this off my plate!!

Eli is doing great.  We have a fitting for his new braces this week, along with an appointment with a chiropractor, my 2 hour cleaning of a friends house, my dentist appointment, and I'm volunteering in Eli's class this week.  It's going to be fun, but busy!

Eli got in trouble this week at school.  He has a hard time with getting overly silly and he ended up hitting another kid.  Nothing malicious, just a boy thing.  So the teacher put him in time out and sent a note home to let me know what was going on.  I emailed her to thank her for disciplining him, then had a chat with my boy.  We talked about not getting too rough with the other kids...school is for learning.  Hitting is not OK, obey the teacher, walk away from trouble, etc, etc.  I told the teacher this is going to take some time for it to sink in with him, and if she ever feels like we need to do something else at home to let me know.  The teacher felt like this was really just a guiding moment, no big deal.  Oh, those boys!  Friday Eli came home in a really foul mood.  So I sent him to his room for a few minutes while I decided what to do next.  I sat with him in his room and said "Eli, you seem angry.  How did school go today?"  He went on to tell me something about needing extra space on the rug, but another kid was too close.  I'm not sure what he did in class, but we talked about what he could have done differently.   And his mood picked up from there.  I was quite relieved!  I told him he needed some unwind time, so he spent about 15mins in his room playing with his toys.  Then we had a great afternoon and evening.

He's now reading the words cat and hat (can you tell what books he likes).  And we're still working on other phonics things.  He's starting to take interested in his computer more and more.  He played one game for about 15mins and whipped up on it!  I was really impressed.  And he's really getting to be quite the clown!  Dave is teaching him to say "Mom, cut me some slack!"

My favorite part of this week was our cooking lesson.  Eli expressed the desire to cook with me one day, so I decided Friday we would make eggs.  I let him crack two eggs, we mixed them, and then he watched while I put them in the pan and scrambled them.  When I was finished, I put them in a bowl, let him add salt and pepper and viola!  We had scrambled eggs.  It was a messy blast.  As he was carrying his eggs to the table with only one hand (grrr!), he dropped the entire bowl on the floor.  Whoops.  I told him to place the eggs back in his bowl and throw them out.  We talked about how mistakes were OK, and what we learned from this experience.  He told me he'd use two hands from now on...and he has!  I'm also showing him how to make his own peanut butter and honey sandwiches.  We still need lots of work on that!

No comments: