About Me

My photo
My husband and I, the Dynamic Duo, have been married since 2003. We've weathered the storm of chronic disease (diagnosis 2006), infertility (diagnosis 2007), turning 30 (2006/2007 respectively) a first adoption (2009) of a tender hearted, compassionate Ukrainian BIG boy (born 2006), who has told us he'd like a baby sister, baby brother, big brother, and REALLY big sister. We recently completed our second Ukrainian adoption journey, which brought us a daughter (born 2005). We'll see what else God brings our way!

Friday, January 27, 2012

January Days

I didn't want anyone to think I was complaining about the poop incidents...I can't get the picture of Eli naked and shivering in a pool of poop water saying "Hi Mom!" as I opened the door to the bathroom like it was completely normal.  And every time I think of it I laugh out loud, which has rendered a few sideways glances.

Life goes on, and the craziness continues.  Some have said I have quite an adventurous life.  But to me, my life is just my life and we go through what we go through.  You know, like teaching your daughter NOT to straddle the toilet seat to pee, or lie to me about forgetting her shoes at school.  And reminding your son NOT to say someone's name and tap them on the shoulder a million times.  If they don't want to listen, they don't want to listen!  Sigh.

We got the kids report cards this week and I can't help but feeling a little discouraged.  Maybe I should be doing more with them at home, but I don't know what to do with them.  Amelia only knows about half of her letters, although during her testing time she hardly knew any of them.  I think she had test anxiety.  She's still having a hard time with being easily distracted at school, which makes her a distraction.  I'm starting a new thing with her. I told her yesterday morning in the car that one of the many things that makes her really special is her thoughtfulness and helpfulness.  Maybe she could choose one person in her class each day to be really thoughtful and helpful towards.  She seems really excited about it and got a good report yesterday.  I told her teacher what we were doing and she seems to think it's a good idea.

And Eli, well, as smart as he is, he's still behind where he should be.  His handwriting is really good (graded on a curve because of his CP), and his math skills are great.  But he still doesn't get the rhyming thing, and he's behind in reading.  And his social skills need improvement.  I don't think this is any major concern-the teacher hasn't called us about anything yet.

Eli has been really in to talking about adoption lately.  He loves to hear stories about his and Amelia's adoption, and I'm happy to tell him.  He took out his photo album (which is falling apart!) and we talked about all the pictures.  We went through my blog today and checked out some of the videos of him at the orphanage and our first year home with him.  And he asked "Mom, tell me your adoption story."  Talk about shock!  I told him that Bop is my tummy mommy and I wasn't adopted.  "So Bop and Grandpa Stobie are your mom and dad?"  Yep.  Not everyone was adopted, only the special kids.  He smiled his really big I like that answer smile and went on to the next subject.

4 comments:

Siyang E Phoyadx said...

Aww.... What nice stories. Me...I had to talk to my son, again, about not arguing...and he wanted to argue with me about it.

steph said...

Report cards. Sigh. I think its hard to hear/see that your kids are struggling, even though we already know it. I know for me, that it hurts my heart to think about all the things they do each day and to know that so many things are a struggle. As for the poop story? I love when I remember, out of the blue, things that make me laugh:)

Anonymous said...

Natalie ~ I am so amazed at what you have been through. What an amazing family you have. You and your husband are very special people. *hugs* Kathy

The McGowans said...

Just catching up on January--looks like you have had a lot on your plate. We do the poopy dance, too, around here and it has become a non-issue. Even at seven, Maxim can't clean up after himself, and he is learning that even though it stinks to have pooped your pants, I can make it better. It is wonderful that Eli knows you'll fix it with a smile, and also probably good that he doesn't know about the laughing ;)

Have you ever seen the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons"? It is not as easy as all that, but taken in very small chunks (less than one lesson, 5 or ten minute mini-lessons) there are some great techniques and practice with letters/sounds/rhyming. I am using it with Maxim now and he is learning. He loves the pictures in the book which are simple, but always with a funny twist.

You clearly do a great job of loving on your kids, and that will make up for a lot of their lack of early learning. Really, they will learn when they are ready! Sending a hug and a smile your way.

Martita