About Me

My photo
My husband and I, the Dynamic Duo, have been married since 2003. We've weathered the storm of chronic disease (diagnosis 2006), infertility (diagnosis 2007), turning 30 (2006/2007 respectively) a first adoption (2009) of a tender hearted, compassionate Ukrainian BIG boy (born 2006), who has told us he'd like a baby sister, baby brother, big brother, and REALLY big sister. We recently completed our second Ukrainian adoption journey, which brought us a daughter (born 2005). We'll see what else God brings our way!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

New structure, Old behaviors

The kids were driving us crazy asking us all the time "what's next" and "who goes first".  So I implemented a new system.  Each night we talk about the next day.  I have a dry erase board and we record the next days events.  And it's working!  We haven't gotten the "what's next" question in a while.  And it's so very nice.


As you can see, today the kids have a surprise.  Their favorite babysitter is coming over tonight so Dave and I can go on a date...a much needed respite from the week.  Oh, and tomorrow is our 9 year wedding anniversary so it works out great!

Amelia has been having a really tough time in school this week.  And it's only Wednesday.  Monday she stomped her foot at her teacher after the teacher reminded her that scissors aren't for cutting tissue.  And she refused to participate in music class and was quite disruptive.  Tuesday morning a lunch mom informed me that Amelia has been running around during lunch, not eating, touching everyone and everything.  And then Tuesday after school, I was informed she went through the lunch line and got a piece of pizza.  Um, what?  I pack her lunch everyday!!  She also smashed robin's eggs on the playground after the recess moms told all the kids to stay away from the next.  

My solution Monday:  Homework, eat dinner, go to bed.  No chocolate, No TV, No dessert after dinner
  Tuesday:  Homework, eat dinner, play in room until bed.  No chocolate, No TV, No dessert after dinner

She's also writing apologies to the lunch moms, recess moms, classroom teacher, and music teacher.  AND she's going to pay for the pizza out of her own money.  

I've also emailed the principal to tell him to give her firm discipline...that's what she needs.

Ugh.  I. am. so. exhausted!  I'm back to the ADHD thing.  Her teacher gave me a great book on ADD/ADHD diet, so I'm going to look in to that.  High protien, low sugar.  That means no more fruit (or at least not as much) and more veggies in her lunch!  We already stay away from food coloring and have always had wheat bread.  So I'm hoping a diet change will help her.  I'm thinking strawberries are the culprit.  That's really the only think I can think of that's new!

The school won't test her until she's been in the ELL program for 2 years, but I'm going to do some kind of counseling over the summer for her.  It's just too textbook for me to let it go.  And there's no way I can let my kid go to school next year and struggle again.  I'm not sure meds are the way to go with her...after all, she did get 2 weeks straight of greens :)  

1 comment:

BCCC Mamma said...

Natalie,

There is great research showing how nutrition affects these types of issues. The book (don't shoot it down due to the title) Eat Fat, Loose Fat by Dr. Mary Enig & Sally Fallon http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-Healthy-Alternative/dp/0452285666/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336662355&sr=8-2 has a Healthy Diet section that specifically targets many health issues, including those you are dealing with. I started on this road due to some health issues and it's really opened my eyes to our food issues in the US and how they affect our bodies! Good luck, sweety! Happy Anniversary!

Trina